Mosby's Essential Sciences for Therapeutic Massage, 3rd Edition
Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics and Pathology
With more than 700 full-color illustrations, this engaging resource takes a visual approach to helping you understand the scientific principles behind therapeutic massage. Coverage includes a wide range of clinically relevant topics from basic overviews of anatomy and disease to in-depth explorations of each body system with an emphasis on applying scientific principles to practice. A companion DVD features over 75 anatomy and physiology animations and cadaver dissection footage that show biologic functions and medical procedures in realistic detail.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Full-color muscle anatomy illustrations highlight help identify and locate muscles.
- A section on nutrition includes information on the digestive process, nutrition basics, and the functions of vitamins and minerals to help you understand how nutrition affects the body.
- "Clinical Reasoning" exercises in the workbook sections and "Practical Applications" boxes within chapters help you apply concepts from the book to real-life situations with realistic examples.
- Thoroughly reviewed and updated chapters ensure accurate content with up-to-date applications to massage.
- Updated full-color illustrations clearly demonstrate anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, and pathology concepts.
- Updated Evolve resources include extensive learning activities for each chapter, as well as additional gait assessment and muscle firing pattern photos, web links, and a National Certification Exam review to provide more opportunities for learning.
- UNIQUE! A comprehensive chapter on biomechanics includes valuable information on muscle testing and assessment.
- Combined workbook and textbook format encourages critical thinking with activities, short essays, fill-in-the-blank questions, drawing exercises, and more to help you reinforce concepts.
- Sections on pathologic conditions, with suggestions for intervention protocols, indications, and contraindications for therapeutic massage, prepare you to work with clients safely and effectively.
- Handy appendices with quick reference charts for muscles and pathology provide at-a-glance access to common muscle information and pathologies.
By Sandy Fritz, MS, NCTMB, Founder, Owner, Director and Head Instructor, Health Enrichment Center, School of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, Lapeer, MI; and James Grosenbach, EdD, Clinical Psychologist, Director of Education, Health Enrichment Center, School of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, Lapeer, MI