Infectious Diseases, 3rd Edition
Expert Consult: Online and Print - 2 Volume Set
Infectious Diseases, 3rd edition by Jonathan Cohen, MB, BS, FRCP, FRCPath, FRCPE, FMedSci, William G. Powderly, MD, FRCPI, and Steven M. Opal MD, provides comprehensive, practical, highly visual guidance to help you effectively overcome the latest clinical infectious disease challenges. The comprehensively updated 3rd Edition features brand-new information on new strains of the swine (H1N1) and avian influenza viruses, SARS, nosocomial infections, HIV/AIDS, and many other timely topics. Online access at expertconsult.com lets you reference the complete contents from any computer.
New to This Edition
- Stay current with the very latest information about newly recognized infectious diseases including new strains of the swine (H1N1) and avian influenza viruses, and SARS…many new chapters including parvoviruses, acute meningitis, chronic meningitis, GI infection, tuberculosis of the urogenital tract, approaches to acute fever and fever of unknown origin, infections in burn, surgery and trauma, immunodeficiencies and principles of infection in the immunocompromised patient, opportunistic and systemic fungi, and subcutaneous and superficial fungal pathogens.
- Efficiently reference information with no overlap thanks to newly reorganized chapters including a completely refocused section on tropical and travel medicine.
- Find answers quickly and easily access references with a new more streamlined, portable, and economical format. All bibliographical citations have been removed from the printed reference - allowing the two volumes to be lighter and more compact - but remain online at expertconsult.com for rapid searchability.
- Get a fresh perspective from seven new section editors added to this edition, as well as an even more geographically diverse set of contributors.
- Find a diagnosis quickly with the popular Diseases by Body System Section.
- Stay well informed with expanded and updated coverage of nonsocomial infections and much more.
- Access the full text contents of the entire 2-volume set online with a fully searchable website with case studies (ideal tool for learning and review for the Boards), ID secret of the week, disease outbreak maps, Diagnosis algorithms, and a downloadable image library.
- Receive unparalleled visual guidance from hundreds of full-color photographs and figures.
- Quickly search information with a consistent chapter organization and colorful page layouts.
- Get clinically-focused guidance from "Practice Points" which demonstrate how to diagnose and treat complicated problems encountered in practice.
- Make effective diagnoses with a more efficient approach to differential diagnosis-discussions of conditions are presented in proportion to their incidence.
- Gain a more international view from editors and authors, patient photographs, and treatment perspectives from around the world.
Edited by Jonathan Cohen, M Sc, FRCP, FRCPath, FRCPE, FMedSci, Professor of Infectious Diseases and Dean of the Medical School, Brighton & Sussex Medical School, Brighton, UK; Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Infectious Diseases; William G. Powderly, MD, Head of School, UCD School of Medicine & Medical Science, Dublin, Ireland and Steven M. Opal, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Brown University Medical School, Providence, RI, USA