Small Animal Surgery e-dition, 3rd Edition
Text with Continually Updated Online Reference
The revolutionary Fossum e-dition offers you the convenience of a book, plus the added functionality of exclusive access to a regularly updated companion website for the life of the 3rd edition. In addition to a fully searchable version of the book, the e-dition provides weekly updates, case studies, aftercare instructions, abstracts of relevant articles, and video clips and animations of surgical procedures. e-dition users can also take notes, save searches, and access an extensive image collection with a lightbox function that allows the user to save images to PowerPoint presentations. The 3rd edition of the book and the e-dition website have been completely updated, offering instant access to authoritative information on all aspects of small animal surgery. Coverage includes basic procedures such as spays, castrations, and declaws, as well as more advanced surgeries that might be referred to specialists such as craniotomy, ventral slots, and lung lobectomy. Discussions of general surgical procedures include sterile technique, surgical instrumentation, suturing, preoperative care, and antibiotic use. Key sections provide clinically relevant coverage of soft tissue surgery, orthopedic surgery, and neurosurgery.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- An online, fully searchable web version of the book with weekly updates
- A new chapter on Fundamentals of Physical Rehabilitation details the basics of physical rehabilitation for practitioners who want to integrate physical therapy into practice.
- A new chapter on Principles of Minimally Invasive Surgery that discusses performing surgery with the least instrumentation possible, including instrument selection and care and basic techniques.
- A new chapter on Surgery of the Eye that discusses diseases and disorders of the eye, their medical management, and corrective surgical procedures.
- Expanded coverage of perioperative multimodal analgesic therapy.
- Updated coverage of arthroscopy, canine elbow dysplasia, joint replacement, and management of osteoarthritis.
- The latest information on state-of-the-art radiologic techniques.
- Over 1500 full color illustrations provide exceptionally clear representations of anatomy and currently accepted surgical techniques, including approaches and closure.
- Over 600 full color photographs and radiographs offer clear images of specific disorders, diseases, and procedures.
- Information on the most efficient and cost-saving sterilization techniques including scrubless and waterless preparation solutions.
- General considerations and clinically relevant pathophysiology sections provide practical information for case management.
- Step-by-step instructions for surgical techniques are presented in italicized blue type for quick and easy reference.
- Special icons identify advanced procedures that should be referred to an experienced surgeon or specialist.
- Color-coded tables and boxes call attention to specific data, offering at-a-glance access to key information such as drug dosages, clinical signs, and analgesic protocols.
- Anesthesia Protocols provide quick and easy access to recommendations for anesthetizing animals with particular diseases or disorders.
“The book itself is again a masterpiece for the veterinary surgeon with well explained text, drawings and tables. The use of different symbols and colours in the text makes things very clear.
I was please to see the more recent orthopaedic procedures such as TPLO, TWO and TTA for the repair of cranial cruciate ligaments being so well described. A lot of attention is also spent on analgesia, with clear tables and dosages being provided.
Regarding the e-dition or online: this is a great improvement! Excellent features include:
- good searching system, very fast
- good quality pictures (they can be stored)
- frequent updates (weekly)
- reference links to PubMed with access to the full-text articles
- videoclips (good quality images)
- aftercare instructions
- interactive fracture planner
- POCKETConsult TM for PDA
- case presentations
- and many other useful features
veterinary surgeons (those just staring as well as more experienced surgeons) who are really interested in what they are doing during surgery, should have this book in their library.
…It is worth every Euro!”
Reviewed by Johan van Tilburg DVM(B), for EJCAP, vol 17, October 2007
By Theresa Welch Fossum, DVM, MS, PhD, Dipl ACVS, Department of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX