Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office, 6th Edition
This book may take up to 5 business days to ship
|(With Adobe DRM, readable with Adobe Digital Editions for PCs and Macs, and on most mobile devices except Kindle)|
This full-color text prepares dental professionals to promptly and proactively recognize and manage medical emergencies that may occur in the dental office. It details how to anticipate potential emergencies and what resources must be on hand to deal effectively with these situations. The book is arranged in eight sections concentrating on topics such as prevention of emergencies through patient evaluation (medical history) and specific types of more common emergencies that practitioners may encounter.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Full-color drawings and updated photographs add realism to situations and equipment.
- Information on AEDs (Automated Electronic Defibrillators) explains why these should be mandatory in every dental practice and describes how to use these devices properly.
- A Pediatric Considerations chapter covers pediatric CPR and guidelines for basic life support.
- A Medicolegal Considerations chapter discusses topics such as theories of liability, definitions of emergencies and standards, and limitations and requirements of the doctor-patient relationship.
- An Evolve® website contains the Instructor's Resource Manual, an electronic image collection, and an ExamView® test bank.
- Algorithms located in the appendices provide step-by-step diagrams showing the decision-making process in each of several common emergency situations.
- PABCD boxes throughout text remind the reader of American Heart Association guidelines on Positioning, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, and Definitive management and explain the relevance of these guidelines to the topic being discussed.
- Chapters are organized into sections based upon types of common emergency situations.
- Chapter on Preparation includes an updated emergency drug and equipment kit to reflect materials that are safe and currently available on the market.
By Stanley F. Malamed, DDS, Professor and Chair, Section of Anesthesia and Medicine, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA and Stanley F. Malamed, DDS, Professor and Chair, Section of Anesthesia and Medicine, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA