Foundations of Anesthesia, 2nd Edition
Basic Sciences for Clinical Practice
118 international experts provide you with complete coverage of basic and clinical science in anesthesiology. They emphasize the principles and clinical applications of molecular and cell biology, physiology, pharmacology, and physics and measurement. Over 700 full-color illustrations and easy-to-read tables and graphs help you understand every detail.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Contains new chapters on: Adverse Drug Reactions (Ch. 10), Sensory Systems (Ch. 22), Physiology of Pain (Ch. 23), Mechanisms of Anesthesia (Ch. 24), Consciousness & Cognition (Ch.29), Sleep & Anesthesia (Ch. 30), and Physiology & Pharmacology of Blood Coagulation (Ch. 53).
- Includes increased coverage of ultrasound in anesthesiology and clinical care.
- Offers new information on genomics and proteomics.
- Shows "clinical pearls" boxes in every chapter for added speed in reference.
- Uses a visual approach with excellent full-color line illustrations.
- Includes a bonus CD-ROM that allows you to download all of the book's figures into PowerPoint® for electronic presentations.
- Refers only to key references from primary papers keeping information that is the most up-to-date.
'Penning a review of a truly great book, as this second edition is, presents not a few problems for the reviewer.
Hemmings and Hopkins have delivered a masterpiece, a textbook that transcends the mundane, the world of the targeted text, or the exam crammer. They have used a great deal of wisdom and intelligence in breaking down the universe of 'basic sciences' into interesting and manageable parts. using an organ-system approach they set out to distil from over 100 experts in their field, the very essence and touchstones of knowledge in the basic sciences as applied to clinical practice. They have assured that he contributors attain in every chapter, lucidity of thought, scientific integrity, and clarity of expression.
The book comes with a CD which allows the figures to be downloaded as powerpoint slides. The text should genuinely become a vital part of any trainees library.
The book will be an anathema to the apocryphal 'big syringe, small syringe' anaesthetist. It restores self pride in the practice of the art and science of Anaesthesia, serving as a timely reminder of the staggering complexity behind what can appear at times to be a fairly straightforward specialty. This book is a modern classic in the making.'
J J Ross British Journal of Anaesthesia.
By Hugh C. Hemmings, BS, MD, PhD, Professor of Pharmacology and Anesthesiology, Vice Chairman of Research in Anesthesiology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, and Attending Anestesiologist, New York Presbyterian Hospital New York, NY; and Phillip M. Hopkins, MB, BS, MD, FRCA, Professor of Anesthesia , University of Leeds , and Honorary Consultant in Anesthesia, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, Academic Unit of Anesthesia, St. James's University Hospital, Leeds, UK.