Text with CD-ROM
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Immigrant Medicine is the first comprehensive guide to caring for immigrant and refugee patient populations. Edited by two of the best-known contributors to the growing canon of information about immigrant medicine, and written by a geographically diverse collection of experts, this book synthesizes the most practical and clinically relevant information and presents it in an easy-to-access format. An invaluable resource for front-line clinicians and other healthcare professionals, public health officials, and policy makers, Immigrant Medicine is destined to become the benchmark reference in this emerging field.Table of Contents
- Features expert guidance on data collection, legal, interpretive and social adjustment issues, as well as best practices in caring for immigrants to help you confidently manage all aspects of immigrant medicine.
- Includes detailed discussions on major depression, post traumatic stress disorder, and issues related to torture so you can effectively diagnose and treat common psychiatric issues.
- Covers international and new-arrival screening and immunizations offering you invaluable advice.
- Presents a templated diseases/disorders section with discussions on tuberculosis, hepatitis B, and common parasites that helps you easily manage the diseases and syndromes you are likely to encounter.
- Provides boxed features and tables, differential diagnoses, and treatment algorithms to help you absorb information at a glance.
- Includes a CD containing multi-lingual health education sheets and links to further multi-lingual resources so you can easily educate your patients.
BMA Book awards 2008 - Highly Commended
"Wide ranging with useful practical advice on difficult aspects of
immigrant medicine - especially the areas of communication and how to navigate cultural boundaries. The material covered goes from parasitic disorders through to psychiatric problems. The section on womens' reproductive health is very useful. This is an excellent book to have around to dip into for advice. I shall put my copy in our hospital library."
Travel Medicine encompasses a wide range of topics from the prevention of disease and health of international travellers to more exotics such as wilderness medicine, altitude medicine, aviation and space medicine. This is reflected in this timely, elegant, informative and comprehensive volume on immigrant medicine. No topic seems to have escaped the net. The text is well-illustrated, usually in colour, with clear and comprehensive charts and tables. This is a gem of a book, which is strongly recommended as essential reading for all physicians, laboratory and public health workers.
Science Direct, January 2009
Edited by Patricia Frye Walker, MD, DTM&H, MD, DTM&H, Medical Director, HealthPartners Center for International Health, Assistant Professor, Dept of Internal Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Elizabeth Day Barnett, MD, Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine