The Human Body in Health & Disease Softcover, 4th Edition
Offering a student-friendly writing style, this text presents a body systems approach with a strong emphasis on vocabulary and basic anatomy and physiology concepts, as well as the basic mechanisms of disease and pathologic conditions associated with each body system. This comprehensive text is dominated by two unifying themes: the complementarity of structure and function and homeostasis. The integrating principle of homeostasis is used to show how "normal" structure and function is achieved and maintained. Failures of homeostasis are shown as basic mechanisms of disease. The reader is drawn into the subject by superior illustrations, including cadaver dissections, and other student-friendly features.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New Chemistry of Life chapter discusses basic chemistry concepts needed for understanding basic anatomy and physiology.
- The Panorama of Anatomy and Physiology/Body Spectrum: Mosby's Electronic Anatomy Coloring Book are included in each textbook. A two-in-one CD-ROM featuring two of popular interactive programs, it simplifies the way students learn anatomy and medical terminology by offering 80 detailed anatomy illustrations that can be colored online or printed out to color and study offline. It also features quizzes, movie clips, fun facts, and information on careers in the field of A&P.
- New Science Applications boxes are added to each chapter, highlighting the contributions of trailblazing scientists to the field of anatomy and physiology.
- Study Tips with collaborative learning activities are now listed at the end of each chapter to assist students in how best to study the chapter materials, making this text more "student friendly" than ever before.
- New Evolve website provides students access to web links created especially for this text along with online study activities and study tips. It also includes continually updated content, study through the Internet, and student-generated frequently asked questions with answers from the authors.
- Quick Check questions are located immediately following major topic discussions through the body of the text, covering important information.
- New full-color Mini-Atlas is added to the Appendix, containing cadaver dissections, osteology, organ casts, and surface anatomy photographs, helpfully illustrating the concepts and systems discussed in the book.
- Boxed Essays throughout each chapter contain information ranging from clinical applications to sidelights on recent research or topics related to exercise and fitness.
- Clinical Applications at the end of each chapter offer short case studies with questions that tie theory to practice, and encourage students to apply their knowledge to specific, practical problems. Answers are in the back of the book.
- Readability and coverage are at the appropriate level for students approaching the study of anatomy and physiology for the first time, with interesting analogies and examples along with the factual information.
- Superior art program, with over 450 full-color illustrations, complements text material.
- Chapter Outlines introduce each chapter and preview the content.
- Objectives contain measurable objectives for students to identify key goals and master information.
- Detailed Outline Summaries at the end of each chapter provide an excellent recap of important chapter content.
- New and important vocabulary terms are listed at the end of each chapter, and a comprehensive Glossary provides the full definition for each term. All vocabulary terms in each chapter are provided in bold print.
- Student self-evaluation activities at the end of each chapter measure their mastery of content. The Chapter Test (answers in back of book), Review Questions and Critical Thinking (answers in Instructor's Manual) provide objective and subjective questions and encourage use of critical thinking skills.
- Pathologic Conditions appendix provides tables summarizing specific pathological conditions by characteristic.
- Medical Terminology appendix provides a list of word parts commonly used in terms related to medicine and pathology, along with tips on dissecting complex terms to determine their meanings.
- Clinical Laboratory Values appendix provides commonly observed values for human body content and physiological conditions, along with their normal ranges.
By Gary A. Thibodeau, PhD, Chancellor Emeritus and Professor Emeritus of Biology, University of Wisconsin — River Falls, River Falls, WI; and Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor of Life Science, St. Charles Community College, St. Peters, MO, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Physiology, Saint Louis University Medical School, St. Louis, MO