Psychotropic Drugs, 4th Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Completely updated, the fourth edition of Psychotropic Drugs presents essential psychopharmacologic information in a comprehensive, user-friendly format. Part One consists of 23 narrative chapters that provide an overview and basic discussion of the biologic bases of psychopharmacology, as well as the uses of psychotropic drugs for specific psychiatric disorders across the lifespan. Part Two contains a series of brief profiles for some of the most common psychotropic drugs, listed by generic name, for access in clinical situations. With information presented in both a comprehensive narrative style and in alphabetical drug profiles, this book can be used both as a textbook and as a handy reference.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New Culture, ethics, and psychopharmacology chapter calls special attention to ethnic and cultural factors which are imperative to the efficacy and effectiveness of psychopharmacology.
- New Drugs for depressive disorders chapter provides intensive coverage of drugs used to treat depressive disorders, including side effects, treatment implications, and herbal treatments.
- New Drugs for bipolar disorders chapter reviews drugs used to treat bipolar disorders, including pharmacokinetics, side effects, and treatment implications.
- New Drugs used in alternative and complementary medicine chapter presents content on alternative pharmacologic methods utilized by many psychiatric patients worldwide, including the latest herbal and therapeutic methods.
- New and hot drug coverage includes escitalopram and galantamine.
- A two-part organization offers both narrative chapters (Part One) and succinct drug profiles (Part Two), so readers may have a choice of using the book as a textbook or as a reference.
- Clinical Psychopharmacology overview provides an introduction to psychotropic drugs, including chapters on psychiatric care as related to pharmacologic treatment, and a review of neuroanatomy.
- Introduction to Psychotropic Drugs includes chapters on psychiatric care as related to pharmacologic treatment, cultural and ethnic factors in psychopharmacology, and a review of neuroanatomy. It reviews neurologic function for those who are a bit "rusty," and challenges those who are more conversant with brain biology.
- Drugs Used in the Treatment of Mental Disorders focuses on the major categories of drugs used in psychiatric care.
- Drug Issues Related to Psychopharmacology reviews electroconvulsive therapy, drugs of abuse, central nervous system stimulants, drugs used in alternative and complementary medicine, and drugs used to treat extrapyramidal side effects of psychotropic drugs.
- Developmental Issues Related to Psychotropic Drugs includes chapters on the psychopharmacologic treatment of children, adolescents, and elderly persons, to reinforce the age-related issues associated with pharmacologic interventions.
- Psychotropic Drug Profiles features quick, handy profiles for some of the most commonly prescribed psychotropic drugs. Each drug is profiled according to categories such as classification, indications, contraindications, pharmacokinetics, and interactions. Trade names have been expanded and updated.
By Norman L. Keltner, EdD, RN, APRN, Professor, School of Nursing, University of Alabama – Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama; and David G. Folks, MD, Department of Psychiatry, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE