Encounters with Children, 4th Edition
Pediatric Behavior and Development
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfilment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
Limited Stock - Order Soon
The only text of its kind, this Fourth Edition continues to provide a practical how-to guide to normal childhood development and behavior. In addition to exploring the normal stages of development, this informative text discusses the many familial and societal issues that can influence a child's behavior, such as terrorism and disasters, preschool choices, bullying, and divorce. Organized according to the child's age, it takes readers from the neonatal visit and newborn exam all the way through the late adolescent years. Additional topics include ADHD and learning disabilities, autism and other disorders of communication, and reactions to stress. Clinical examples illustrate development and behavior.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Discusses the hottest topics, including gender differences throughout development * childhood depression * children's responses to terrorism and disasters * preschool choices * divorce * and the effects of violence in a context of care and anticipatory guidance.
- Presents a "Heads Up" section in each chapter, alerting clinicians to certain behaviors that may be present.
- Offers case vignettes throughout each chapter to allow readers to better recognize and manage similar cases encountered in practice.
- Includes data gathering sections at the end of each chapter that demonstrate how to apply information in clinical settings by using age-appropriate interview techniques and activities.
- Addresses a wide range of cultural issues in practice in a cross-cultural chapter.
- Presents a user-friendly, comprehensive course in normal development.
- Provides Observational, Interview, and Examination points for each age.
- Arranges developmental concept chapters according to the child's age, with more attention given to younger children when much of their development occurs.
- Offers many resources available to parents, including many found on the Internet.
- Addresses the mandated training requirements and fulfills Residency Requirements on normal childhood development. .
- Incorporates children's art throughout, for use in clinical practice.
"Lovely and practical summary of child development" - NEJM 2006
"Unique in its blending of theory and practical advice and its sensitivity to families and their important role in the child’s development... In their 4th edition of Encounters with Children, Drs. Dixon and Stein have retained all that was wonderful about the previous editions while adding more than 150 pages of new material… This book continues to be my favourite child development book." - Dr. Linda S. Grossman, Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. 28(6):437, December 2007.
By Suzanne D. Dixon, MD, MPH, Emeritus Professor of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California; Clinical Faculty, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington; Great Falls Clinic, Great Falls, Montana; and Martin T. Stein, MD, Professor of Pediatrics, Director, Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California