Drug Calculations Online for Ogden Calculation of Drug Dosages (Access Code), 8th Edition
Incorporating the ratio and proportion, formula, and dimensional analysis methods, this interactive online course presents a complete, step-by-step approach to the calculation and administration of drug dosages. It's organized in a consistent, modular format that is designed to be used with Ogden's Calculation of Drug Dosages, 8th Edition. After you've read topics in the text, turn to the online course for animations, case studies, and interactive self-assessment activities - all designed to provide real-world application and practice.Table of Contents
- Includes three major drug calculation methods (ratio and proportion, formula and dimensional analysis) so you can apply the method which works best for you.
- Modules provide valuable practice and learning resources, including an overview, objectives, a reading assignment for the topic being covered, example problems, practice problems, and one or more quizzes.
- The latest drug administration techniques and devices are discussed, as well as detailed explanations of the various forms of administering drugs, including oral, intravenous, intra-muscular, subcutaneous and other routes used in drug administration.
- The most up-to-date, commonly used drugs are included, so you have frequent exposure to what is being used in the "real world" of clinical practice.
- Information on infusion pumps (enteral, single, multi-channel, PCA and insulin) helps you understand their increased use in drug administration.
- Recommendations from The Joint Commission (TJC) and the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) are followed for use of acceptable abbreviations and dose designations, to ensure patient safety and quality of care.
- Many math practice problems include a tutorial for each of the three drug calculation methods. When one of the solution buttons is chosen, a step-by-step tutorial to solving the problem in the method chosen is initiated for you to view.
- Animations demonstrate techniques of drug administration such as how to mix two medications in a syringe or withdrawing medication from an ampule.
- Case studies depict realistic patient scenarios, helping you apply what you've learned to a patient situation.
- Interactive self-assessment activities allow you to apply your knowledge in context and develop your critical thinking skills.
- Glossary with over 100 drug calculation- and medical-related terms serves as a quick reference to key definitions.
- Quizzes within each module can be used to evaluate your mastery of all the major topics covered in that particular module.
By Sheila J. Ogden, RN, MSN, Orthopaedics Program Director, Clarian Health Partners, Indianapolis, IN, USA; Angela Koller; and Linda Fluharty, RN, MSN, Associate Professor, ASN Program, Ivy Tech State College, Indianapolis, IN