Assisting with Patient Care, 2nd Edition
Assisting with Patient Care addresses the expanded role of the Patient Care Technician (PCT) or Multi-Skilled Worker (MSW), covering all of the basic concepts and skills needed by nursing assistants, as well as the more advanced skills required by PCTs or MSWs. This comprehensive text is visually appealing, with its full-color design and abundance of photos and drawings. Its engaging writing style and 7th-grade reading level make it a favorite of students at all levels. Five new chapters and eight new procedures provide more comprehensive information on the nursing process, restraints, specimens, hearing and vision problems, and developmental disabilities.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- UNIQUE! Mosby's Nursing Assistant CD-ROM, bound in the text, includes 25 procedures with corresponding video clips & exercises, an audio glossary, and Body Spectrum - an electronic anatomy coloring book.
- New Safety Alerts provide cautions and proper techniques for protecting both staff and patients.
- New Delegation Guidelines detail the assistive personnel's (AP) responsibilities when accepting specific delegated tasks.
- Focus On... boxes address the special needs of children, older persons, long-term care residents, and home care patients.
- Icons in section headings alert students to associated procedure.
- Five new chapters on Assisting With the Nursing Process, Restraint Alternatives and Safe Restraint Use, Collecting and Testing Specimens, Hearing and Vision Problems, and Developmental Disabilities provide expanded content grouped in logical, concise chapters.
- Eight new procedures include Double Bagging, Transferring the Person from the Chair or Wheelchair to Bed, Transferring a Person to and from the Toilet, Changing a Leg Bag to a Drainage Bag, Preparing the Person for Meals, Measuring Height: The Person in Bed, Applying a Hot Pack, and Caring for Eyeglasses.
- Highlights skills to alert students to skills that are part of the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAPTM).
- Covers both basic nursing assistant roles and advanced skills for the patient care technician/multi-skilled worker.
- Clear, 7th-grade reading level.
- Step-by-step procedures detail skills and are divided into pre-, procedure, and post-procedure sections for easier learning.
- Quality of Life sections in the procedures remind students to show respect for the person by performing simple courtesies such as knocking before entering the room, calling the person by name, and introducing self by name and title.
- Caring about Culture boxes provide information to help students learn how to address various practices of specific cultures.
- Delegation is discussed regarding the assistive personnel's responsibilities in accepting and performing assigned tasks.
- Hundreds of large, full-color photos and drawings provide visual reinforcement of concepts and skills.
- Learning Objectives for each chapter help students focus on information presented.
- Key Terms with definitions help students understand chapter content.
- Boxes and tables present material in concise, easy-to-locate format
- Chapter Review Questions are a useful study guide found at the end of each chapter.
By Sheila A. Sorrentino, RN, MSN, PhD, Curriculum and Health Care Consultant, Normal, Illinois