Natural Standard Herbal Pharmacotherapy
An Evidence-Based Approach
With all of the essential information you need on herbal pharmacotherapy for the pharmacy setting, Natural Standard Herbal Pharmacotherapy provides practical guidance on the use of herbal therapies for medical conditions. The text’s unique expanded outline format allows you to quickly review facts and identify important information. Each chapter includes detailed, evidence-based coverage of the effects of herbal medicine on medical conditions, and Natural Standard’s grading scale ensures you use the most effective treatments for your patients. Plus, a section on adjunct therapies provides advice on combining herbal medicine with primary treatments.Table of Contents
- Chapters are organized by medical condition, and present supportive evidence for selected herbal therapies used for specific medical conditions.
- A full-color insert provides photos of herbs covered in the text in their natural settings.
- Case studies prepare you for patient counseling in clinical practice.
- Review questions, similar to those on national board exams, allow trainees to evaluate learning and identify areas for further study, with answers provided at the back of the book.
- A section on herbal therapies with limited evidence includes information on widely used products which lack scientific evidence to support use.
- Dosing information provided for adults and children.
- Integrative therapy plans help quickly assess patient needs and create cohesive treatment plans considering all therapeutic options.
- Herb tables by therapeutic class summarize products with properties related to specific medical conditions.
- An appendix of normal lab values includes the relative range for a variety of tests and conditions.
- The comprehensive safety appendix describes adverse effects, clinically significant interactions between herbs and other botanicals (including plants, fungi, algae, and common constituents) with prescription and over-the-counter drugs. This section also includes pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics information for herbal therapies.
- A pregnancy appendix contains scientific evidence regarding the safety and efficacy of herbal products during pregnancy and lactation.