Introduction to Orthotics, 4th Edition
A Clinical Reasoning and Problem-Solving Approach
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
NOT YET PUBLISHED
Covering the theory, design, and fabrication of orthotic devices, Introduction to Orthotics: A Clinical Reasoning & Problem-Solving Approach, 4th Edition helps you master the skills you need to choose and fit effective orthoses for patients with hand injuries and functional deficits. It emphasizes upper extremity splinting, with additional coverage of lower extremity orthotics and upper extremity prosthetics, and offers case studies promoting clinical reasoning and problem solving. This edition includes new chapters on orthotics of the shoulder and orthotic systems, plus online videos demonstrating fabrication and fitting techniques. Written by occupational therapy educators Brenda Coppard and Helene Lohman, this textbook/workbook is ideal for students and as a practical resource for occupational therapists and therapy assistants in the clinical setting.
Student Resources on Evolve
- Video clips
- Learning activities
- Additional case studies
- Review questions and answers
- Self-quiz questions and answers
- Fabrication procedures from the text
- Forms from the text
- Grading sheets from the text
Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW! Fabrication processes appear in special boxes to allow for quick reference.
- NEW! Fabrication processes, forms, and grading sheets are included on the Evolve companion website, allowing you to create a personalized study guide.
- UPDATED content includes new case studies, references, evidence-based research tables, and more on the ‘science’ of orthotic intervention.
- NEW! Additional learning exercises show how to apply theory to practice.
- NEW! More integration of patient safety addresses this important aspect of patient care.
- How-To videos on the Evolve companion website let you watch the construction of orthotics again and again to increase your proficiency.
- Review questions and self-quizzes reinforce your comprehension of the material.
- Case studies in each chapter show how concepts relate to real-life clinical practice.
- Self-evaluation forms allow you to analyze your strengths and weaknesses related to new orthotic intervention techniques.
- Laboratory exercises test your clinical reasoning and technical skills.
- High-quality photos and line drawings illustrate key concepts and techniques.
- Combined textbook/workbook format makes it easier to develop fundamental skills in the theory, design, and fabrication of orthoses,
- Spiral binding lets the book lay flat when opened for convenient use while on the job.
By Brenda M. Coppard, PhD, OTR/L, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Occupational Therapy, Creighton University, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, Omaha, NE, USA and Helene Lohman, MA, OTD, OTR/L, Associate Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy, Creighton University, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, Omaha, NE, USA