The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns and Stretching, 2nd Edition
Please note that due to a system merger our fulfillment system will be down beginning September 22nd with an anticipated date to begin shipping orders October 10th. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience by offering you a special 20% discount on select products. Please use Promotional Code 12760. Click here for promotion details.
NOT YET PUBLISHED
Muscolino’ s comprehensive and visually engaging coverage takes an in-depth look at palpation of muscle and bone along with trigger points and their pain referral patterns, stretching, specific muscle treatment, and more. Amazing four-color artwork shows palpation of the muscle with illustrations drawn over full-color photos. New additions such as review questions, "Deeper Thoughts," case studies and an Interactive Muscle Program help you develop integrative clinical-reasoning skills and successfully apply palpation techniques in massage therapy.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- NEW! Interactive Muscle Program available on Evolve allows you to see muscle attachments and the relationship among the muscles of the region, easing the process and aiding in retention of material.
- NEW! Drawings of therapist-assisted stretches added to the third section of the text supplies you with a comprehensive look at stretching, with both the existing self-stretches and the assisted stretches presented side-by-side.
- NEW! Case studies keep your interest level high with the opportunity for integrative, clinical reasoning.
- NEW! Reformatted Bone Palpation and Ligaments section offers content in a narrative format consistent with the rest of the text for easier navigation.
- NEW! "Deeper Thoughts" questions actively engage and challenge your reasoning skills.
- NEW! Review questions allow you to discuss concepts and synthesize important chapter information.
- Step-by-step muscle palpitation coverage with clear reasoning provided for each step presents content in a way that is easily understood and remembered rather than just memorized.
- Amazing four-color artwork shows palpation of the muscle with muscle and bone illustrations drawn over full-color photos offering you a better sense of exactly how the muscles look and where the muscle is located underneath the skin as it is being palpated.
- UNIQUE! Stretching coverage provides more information on this effective treatment technique and helps you understand the role of stretching in treatment.
- Trigger Points and Referral Patterns illustrations show where trigger points lie on the muscle and where pain radiates when an injury is felt so you can effectively identify trigger points and referral patterns in a clinical setting.
- UNIQUE! Palpation photos help students and practitioners learn to identify muscles when the body is positioned the way they will encounter it in the massage setting.
- Specific massage-related assessment and treatment strokes are shown through illustrations and in the Palpation Notes, moving you from theory and assessment to practical application.
- Bone Palpation coverage teaches you to identify and palpate bones and bony landmarks.
- Chapter overviews and outlines introduce each chapter so you can preview the content and direction of the chapter at the major concept level.
- Measurable chapter objectives at the start of each chapter identify key goals as well as information that should be mastered.
Dana J Lawrence, DC, MMedEd (Palmer College of Chiropractic)
This book presents a comprehensive approach to muscle palpation and human muscular anatomy, providing an overview of stretching as well as a thorough grounding in palpatory awareness of human muscles. It is amply illustrated and is complemented by a DVD.
It is designed to fill a need in the training of students of massage therapy. It focuses attention on human muscles, their anatomy, and the most effective way in which each muscle should be palpated. There is an additional emphasis on stretching and on trigger points. A book like this is needed in the discipline, and its thoroughness will be an asset in marketing to other professions in manual therapy. Overall, it does a superb job of meeting the authors' objectives.
The primary audience is students in massage therapy programs, but it will also find a home in other professions which focus on manual care, such as chiropractic, naturopathy, napropathy and physical medicine. It is a book that students will embrace, but it is probably a bit basic for practitioners, although it might be a good reference for them.
The first of the three main parts of the book looks at the art and science of palpation, as well as some information about stretching (from various viewpoints, such as contract relax and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation). The second part looks at bony palpation and landmarks in the body, while the final part (which is the meat of the book) provides detailed information on how to palpate all muscles of the body. It is wonderfully illustrated, with hundreds of high quality illustrations, and the accompanying DVD demonstrates many of the techniques as well. All illustrations are in color, and the text looks quite professional. My only quibble is a lack of referencing for the latter chapters, which may reflect the fact that the book represents the clinical wisdom of the authors.
This is a nicely done addition to the literature. It is logically organized, it covers the material well, and I cannot think of another similar book that has this level of detail. The DVD is a good addition. There is a wealth of good clinical information here, well beyond just the palpation skills. There is good information on stretching, and on trigger points and where they may be located and how they may be palpated. I would feel quite comfortable recommending this book to my chiropractic students.
Weighted Numerical Score: 95 - 4 Stars!
"This book is a comprehensive introduction to learning the skills required to be an effective body worker or massage therapist. It’s compiled in such a way to be an effective learning resource for physiotherapists, osteopaths and chiropractors who require a core textbook, which provides clear and concise illustration to enhance the learning experience."
The Osteopath, 2009
By Joseph E. Muscolino, DC, Instructor, Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, NY; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, CT