Mosby's Pathology for Massage Therapists - Elsevier E-Book on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
|Print - Paperback||$75.95|
Salvo's Pathology presents more than just a parade of diseases. It takes the reader through health assessment and client consultation, covers sanitation and hygiene, refreshes on physiology pertinent to the pathology and pathophysiology covered in the text, and talks about general contraindications and endangerment sites before moving into the pathologies themselves. More than 300 pathologic conditions are covered in chapters divided by system. An entire chapter on Cancer and another on Mental and Emotional Illness are new additions to this edition. Each pathology presents the following information: Description, Signs and Symptoms, Etiology, Treatment, and Precautions. Pathologies are also accompanied by full color illustrations and photos plus a traffic light icon indicating whether it is safe to proceed with massage (green), there are cautions (yellow), or the massage is contraindicated (red). Local contraindications are distinguished with an "L," to indicate massage is unsafe only in certain areas and the therapist can proceed with the massage for the rest of the body. Helpful appendices and a glossary round out the book.Table of Contents View all Massage-and-Manual-Therapy titles
New to This Edition
- Over 300 NEW full-color photographs help you recognize common diseases and conditions.
- Updates of commonly seen pathologies include Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, obesity, and post-traumatic stress.
- NEW Aging and Massage chapter reviews key concepts such as frail or robust, discusses palliative care, and reviews the need for treatments specifically geared toward the elderly.
- NEW student-friendly features in each chapter include Think about It, which provides a chance to review real-world cases and consider treatment options; Webquests that introduce useful websites such as Mayo Clinic and the CDC; and Discussion, which challenges you to find answers to thought-provoking questions.
- NEW Clinical Tips boxes provide brief, practical hints gleaned from the author's first-hand experience in clinical practice.
- NEW 911 boxes prepare you for emergencies such as heart attacks and strokes that may occur in a massage setting.
- NEW Caution boxes serve as a companion to the 911 box, providing tips on how to avoid aggravating specific client conditions and what adjustments to make to ensure successful, safe practice.
- NEW Chat Room boxes include interesting and need-to-know facts on pathologies, quotes, statistics, reminders on important points covered in the text, and more.
- NEW! List of pathologies with page number references is included on the inside front cover for fast lookup of pathologies.
- A traffic light icon appears before each pathology in the book, designating whether massage is contraindicated (red), local contraindication (yellow), or indicated (green) for that particular pathology.
- Consistent format for each chapter makes it easy to find key information with learning objectives, list of pathologies, system overview, and pathologies, including description, etiology, signs and symptoms, treatment, and massage considerations.
- Student-friendly features in each chapter include learning objectives and self-tests that measure your comprehension.
- Medical Technology boxes highlight special populations, such as clients in wheelchairs or with pacemakers, and explain what the medical device is, and what special precautions or contraindications you should be aware of before working on these clients.
- Spotlight on Research boxes summarize recent studies of massage therapy and its effects.
- Student resources on an Evolve companion website include interactive activities, video clips of techniques, animations, the Body Spectrum coloring book, flashcards, review questions, additional case studies, an image collection, an audio glossary, study tips, stress-busting tips, research updates, and more.
- Mosby's Pathology for Massage Therapists Online reinforces content covered in the book and provides a dynamic way to learn key concepts, with features including recall activities, rollover glossary terms and definitions, animations, quizzes, and Clinical Tips boxes. (Available separately.)
By Susan G. Salvo, M.Ed., LMT, NTS, CI, NCTMB, Co-Owner, Co-Director, and Instructor, Louisiana Institute of Massage Therapy, Lake Charles, LA; Veteran Massage Therapist, Lake Charles, LA