Veterinary Medicine E-Book, 10th Edition
|(With Adobe DRM, readable with Adobe Digital Editions for PCs and Macs, and on most mobile devices except Kindle)|
The eBook version of this title gives you access to the complete book content electronically*. Evolve eBooks allows you to quickly search the entire book, make notes, add highlights, and study more efficiently. Buying other Evolve eBooks titles makes your learning experience even better: all of the eBooks will work together on your electronic "bookshelf", so that you can search across your entire library of Veterinary Medicine eBooks.
*Please note that this version is the eBook only and does not include the printed textbook. Alternatively, you can buy the Text and Evolve eBooks Package (which gives you the printed book plus the eBook). Please scroll down to our Related Titles section to find this title.
The tenth edition of this well-established text has been reviewed and extensively revised, and new diseases added, based on literature published worldwide since 2000. It is directed primarily at students of veterinary medicine and at practicing veterinarians and field workers. It has come to be extensively used as a reference by veterinarians in large and mixed animal practice around the world: it has attained international relevance, recognition and acceptance with several translations.
The book is divided into a General Medicine section (15 chapters) which describes clinical examination and the manifestation of disease in organ systems and a Special Medicine section (21 chapters) which describes the specific diseases of the large animal species, their causes, epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical and pathological manifestations, treatment, control and prevention, and zoonotic risk.
In the General Medicine chapters Dr Peter Constable, an authority in agricultural internal medicine, is a new major author and has reviewed and revised major parts of discussions on systemic disorders and the chapters on diseases of the cardiovascular system, the urinary system, the nervous system, and the chapter on mastitis. Other Chapters in the General Medicine chapters have been revised and the sections on gastrointestinal disease of horses and the chapters on respiratory system and hemopoietic and lymphatic systemes have been totally re-written by Dr Hinchcliff.
The specific diseases of large animal species have been updated sine the last edition by all authors but of particular note in this Special Medicine section is the contributions of three new contributing authors. Dr Stan Done, an internationally recognized authority on diseases of pigs, has taken responsibility for the diseases of this species throughout the text, and adds a European input to the text.
Dr Gary Osweiler, a well recognised clinical diagnostic toxicologist, has taken the responsibility for the revision of the topics on toxicological diseases and Dr Douglas Colwell, the diseases associated with arthropod parasites. In keeping with current diseases and their importance there is a new chapter on diseases associated with prions. This section has been completely revised and descriptions of many of the diseases of current importance completely re-written. There is a new chapter on diseases associated with prions.
New to This Edition
- Completely revised chapters reflect the information from current literature.
- New chapters address diseases associated with prions and identify important emerging diseases.
- A new main author who is a recognized authority on internal medicine of ruminant species with extensive clinical experience and scientific publications brings his expertise to this important reference.
- Includes content from contributing authors who are international authorities on pig diseases, toxicological disease in animals, and diseases associated with artropod parasites.
- Several new illustrations and sonograms provide up-to-date visual aids for better understanding.
- Includes important information essential to any large-animal veterinarian, especially those working with horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, or goats.
- User-friendly format allows the reader to quickly absorb key information.
- Quick review/synopsis sections for complex diseases make important information easy to find.
- Features content on major diseases of all countries, including foreign animal and emerging diseases.
Edited by Otto M. Radostits, CM, DVM, MSc, MRCVS, Dipl ACVIM, Emeritus Professor, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Canada; Clive C. Gay, DVM MVSc Hon DVSc FACVSc Hon Diplomate ACVIM, Emeritus Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University, Washington, USA
; Kenneth W. Hinchcliff, BVSc(Hons), MS, PhD, Dipl ACVIM, Professor, Equine Medicine, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA and Peter D. Constable, BVSc, MS, PhD, Dipl ACVIM, Professor & Head, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA