Fundamentals of Nursing, 3rd Edition
Caring and Clinical Judgment
The new edition of Fundamentals of Nursing gives you complete coverage of the nursing principles, concepts, and skills that form the foundation of a solid nursing education. This engaging text features streamlined procedures that focus on the essential information you need to know to provide safe and effective care. Each clinical chapter begins with a case study and an overview of key nursing diagnoses, and then assessment, planning, interventions, and evaluation are presented within the context of that case study and those key diagnoses. A new Companion CD provides a variety of activities and review questions to help you master important concepts.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Companion CD packaged FREE with the book includes student activities, NCLEX® examination-style review questions, an audio glossary, interactive Body Spectrum anatomy and physiology program, and skills video clips.
- NCLEX® examination-style review questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your knowledge of the material.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight research findings and applications for specific clinical problems so you can clearly see how research affects practice.
- Safety Issues added to appropriate skills reflect JCAHO's increased focus on safe patient care and prepare students for safe practice.
- An expanded unit on Growth & Development includes broader coverage of the older adult to help you understand the unique needs of older clients.
- Older Adults boxes emphasize important information necessary for providing appropriate care to this growing patient population.
- Case studies include photographs of patients to help bring these clinical situations to life.
- Icons in selected skills in the text direct you to the new Evolve® resources or CD Companion, where you can watch relatedvideo clips from Mosby's Nursing Skills Videos.
- Skills in the text that are supported by the Nursing Skills Online interactive course direct you to the appropriate NSO lesson number, connecting your textbook to online review and evaluation.
- Key nursing diagnoses are introduced at the beginning of each clinical chapter and serve as the focus for assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Nursing Process Framework for all clinical chapters provides a consistent, logical organization for nursing care.
- Case studies introduce a patient in each clinical chapter and revisit that patient's case throughout the chapter, using it as an example in the nursing care plan.
- Streamlined procedures help you focus on the most essential information for providing safe care - including key steps with rationales, Time to Allow estimates, delegation considerations, equipment needed, safety issues, and home care and age-related considerations as appropriate.
- Cross-Cultural Care boxes, based on the client in the case study, include important cultural background information to help you provide culturally sensitive care.
- Nursing Care Plans boxes, tied to the chapter case study, include NANDA diagnoses, NOC Expected Outcomes with indicators, NIC Interventions with selected activities and critical thinking questions.
- Comprehensive coverage includes topics not usually covered in other fundamentals texts, such as Vulnerability, The Caregiver Role, The Client with Functional Limitations, and Anxiety.
- A Patient's Perspective boxes give you a glimpse into the client's perception of the experience of illness.
- Considering the Alternatives boxes provide an overview of alternative and complementary therapies that you might explore with your clients, including advantages and potential risks for each.
- Action Alerts highlight situations that require immediate nursing action.
- Clustering Data to Make a Nursing Diagnosis tables present brief patient scenarios and illustrate how to develop appropriate nursing diagnoses.
- Decision Trees show you how to work through decisions when differentiating between closely related nursing diagnoses.
- Teaching for Wellness and Teaching for Self-Care boxes summarize health-promotion and health-restoration teaching in client-oriented language so you can easily communicate key points to your clients.
- Clinical chapters are grouped into units that correspond with Gordon's functional health patterns.
By Helen Harkreader, PhD, RN, Professor, Austin Community College Austin, TX; Mary Ann Hogan, RN, MSN, Clinical Assistant Professor; School of Nursing, University of Massachusetts Amherst; Amherst, MA; and Marshelle Thobaben, MS, RN, PHN, APNP, FNP, Professor and Community Health and Psychiatric Nursing Consultant, Department of Nursing, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA