Fundamentals of Nursing, 3rd Edition
Caring and Clinical Judgment
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$132.00|
The new edition of Fundamentals of Nursing gives you complete coverage of the nursing principles, concepts, and skills that form the foundation of a solid nursing education. This engaging text features streamlined procedures that focus on the essential information you need to know to provide safe and effective care. Each clinical chapter begins with a case study and an overview of key nursing diagnoses, and then assessment, planning, interventions, and evaluation are presented within the context of that case study and those key diagnoses. A new Companion CD provides a variety of activities and review questions to help you master important concepts.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- Companion CD packaged FREE with the book includes student activities, NCLEX® examination-style review questions, an audio glossary, interactive Body Spectrum anatomy and physiology program, and skills video clips.
- NCLEX® examination-style review questions at the end of each chapter help you assess your knowledge of the material.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight research findings and applications for specific clinical problems so you can clearly see how research affects practice.
- Safety Issues added to appropriate skills reflect JCAHO's increased focus on safe patient care and prepare students for safe practice.
- An expanded unit on Growth & Development includes broader coverage of the older adult to help you understand the unique needs of older clients.
- Older Adults boxes emphasize important information necessary for providing appropriate care to this growing patient population.
- Case studies include photographs of patients to help bring these clinical situations to life.
- Icons in selected skills in the text direct you to the new Evolve® resources or CD Companion, where you can watch relatedvideo clips from Mosby's Nursing Skills Videos.
- Skills in the text that are supported by the Nursing Skills Online interactive course direct you to the appropriate NSO lesson number, connecting your textbook to online review and evaluation.
- Key nursing diagnoses are introduced at the beginning of each clinical chapter and serve as the focus for assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Nursing Process Framework for all clinical chapters provides a consistent, logical organization for nursing care.
- Case studies introduce a patient in each clinical chapter and revisit that patient's case throughout the chapter, using it as an example in the nursing care plan.
- Streamlined procedures help you focus on the most essential information for providing safe care - including key steps with rationales, Time to Allow estimates, delegation considerations, equipment needed, safety issues, and home care and age-related considerations as appropriate.
- Cross-Cultural Care boxes, based on the client in the case study, include important cultural background information to help you provide culturally sensitive care.
- Nursing Care Plans boxes, tied to the chapter case study, include NANDA diagnoses, NOC Expected Outcomes with indicators, NIC Interventions with selected activities and critical thinking questions.
- Comprehensive coverage includes topics not usually covered in other fundamentals texts, such as Vulnerability, The Caregiver Role, The Client with Functional Limitations, and Anxiety.
- A Patient's Perspective boxes give you a glimpse into the client's perception of the experience of illness.
- Considering the Alternatives boxes provide an overview of alternative and complementary therapies that you might explore with your clients, including advantages and potential risks for each.
- Action Alerts highlight situations that require immediate nursing action.
- Clustering Data to Make a Nursing Diagnosis tables present brief patient scenarios and illustrate how to develop appropriate nursing diagnoses.
- Decision Trees show you how to work through decisions when differentiating between closely related nursing diagnoses.
- Teaching for Wellness and Teaching for Self-Care boxes summarize health-promotion and health-restoration teaching in client-oriented language so you can easily communicate key points to your clients.
- Clinical chapters are grouped into units that correspond with Gordon's functional health patterns.
By Helen Harkreader, PhD, RN, Professor, Austin Community College Austin, TX; Mary Ann Hogan, RN, MSN, Clinical Assistant Professor; School of Nursing, University of Massachusetts Amherst; Amherst, MA; and Marshelle Thobaben, MS, RN, PHN, APNP, FNP, Professor and Community Health and Psychiatric Nursing Consultant, Department of Nursing, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA