Pathology of Infectious Diseases
A Volume in the Series: Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology
|(With Adobe DRM, readable with Adobe Digital Editions for PCs and Macs, and on most mobile devices except Kindle)|
Pathology of Infectious Diseases, by Gary W. Procop, MD, A Volume in the Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology Series, packs all of today's most essential information on infectious disease pathology into a compact, high-yield format! Well-organized and segmented by type of infectious organism, the book's pragmatic approach complemented by abundant full-color, high-quality photomicrographs and clinical photos, and at-a-glance tables makes it easy to access the information you need to quickly and accurately detect and identify pathogenic organisms. Chapters on immunohistochemical and molecular techniques as well as artifacts and pitfalls guide you to accurate detection and identifications.Table of Contents
- Quickly find the information you need thanks to a well-organized, user-friendly format with templated headings, detailed illustrations, at-a-glance tables, and segmentation by type of infectious organism-viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic.
- Avoid common problems that can lead to an incorrect diagnosis. A special section on artifacts and pitfalls shows you what to look for.
- Get superb visual guidance from an abundance of full-color, high-quality photomicrographs and clinical photos.
- Employ the latest diagnostic advancements including immunohistochemical and molecular techniques.
- Access the full text from any computer, including the entire image bank and links to PubMed, at expertconsult.
- Learn from one of the very best. Dr. Gary W. Procop, one of the most outstanding young clinical pathologists in medical microbiology in American medicine, shares his vision about how new technologies may be used to rapidly identify pathogenic organisms and detect resistance to treatment regimens. Recognized for distinguished research contributions to the discipline of clinical microbiology, he was the recipient of the 2007 American Society for Microbiology (ASM) BD Award for Research in Clinical Microbiology and elected to the American Academy of Microbiology in recognition of his scientific achievements.
- Implement proven diagnostic approaches such as real-time PCR assays and pepticnucleic acid probes with guidance from the pioneer of these techniques!
"Rest assured, you will not be overwhelmed with the information provided in the 707 pages of this book because it is well laid out in each chapter, and presented with a variety of visuals and arrangements of text.Throughout all the chapters you will see color micrographs of the diseases with captions, often detailed. You will also see shaded tables and text boxes that present the information in outline form, for easier grasp and understanding. The charts give you different types of views." ~Nano Khilnani
By Gary W. Procop, MD, Chair, Department of Molecular Pathology, Section Head, Molecular Microbiology; Director, Mycology and Parasitology, Professor of Pathology, Lerner College of Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
and Bobbi Pritt, MD, MSc, (D)TMH, Director, Clinical Parasitology and Virology, Divison of Clinical Microbiology, Mayo Clinic