Emergency Medicine, 6th Edition
The Principles of Practice
Please call 1-800-545-2522 for availability
The ultimate emergency medicine textbook from the renowned Professor Gordian Fulde now in a new edition.
Emergency Medicine 6e presents evidence-based clinical management and treatment advice for emergency medicine students and practitioners in Australasia. The vast range of topics include paediatric, geriatric, gynaecology, psychiatric, dental, rural and Indigenous presentations, ensuring readers are well prepared for any eventuality in the Emergency Department.
This outstanding text combines expertise and experience with fully up-to-date content. It is authored by Professor Gordian Fulde, Emergency Department director at Sydney’s St Vincent's Hospital, with contributions from Dr Sascha Fulde and over 60 other notable emergency medicine clinicians.
Readers will gain a solid understanding of effective procedural and management skills in the ED. Practical tips relate to: patient transport and retrieval; seriously ill patients; advanced nursing roles; general practitioners; working with IT; administration, legal matters, governance and quality care; and interns and students in the emergency department.
The ideal complement to hands-on emergency medicine training, this new edition of Emergency Medicine also prepares readers to apply key emergency medicine skills to unique incidents such as mass casualty and chemical, biological and radiological hazard contingencies.
Topics included in this edition of Emergency Medicine include:
• securing the airway
• arrhythmia management
• pain management
New to This Edition
- The Quick Reference Guide is updated and included in this book. It is also made available as an app
- Updating all chapters - particularly toxicology, IT, Paediatrics
- New resuscitation guidelines - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation; External Automated Defibrillation in BLS; Compressions; Breathing; Airway; Unconsciousness; Priorities in an Emergency; Principles and Format for Developing Guidelines (all revised 12/2010 following ILCOR)
- More comprehensive content for Indigenous and Rural Emergencies chapter
- Moderate repetition arising from so many contributors
- The CT Brain and C spine Rules have been added to the Quick Reference Guide.
- Coverage of important controversies with evidence based recommendations.
- Editor comments contained in relevant chapters to provide clinical tips and advice for practice.
- Increased coverage of topical issues such as deep vein thrombosis (economy class syndrome) and street drugs.
- Practical rapid reference appendix.
- Detailed glossary and index.
"The recent release of the sixth edition of Emergency Medicine: The Principles of Practice, is testimony to the enduring popularity of this compact reference text, which was first published 25 years ago under the editorship of Professor Gordian Fulde.
This multi-authored, comprehensive book presents the essential information of emergency medicine in an accessible and succinct format. All chapters are written by senior Australian physicians, which makes the content attractive and pertinent to the local context. The quick reference section at the front of the book is especially helpful for rapid diagnosis and treatment strategies.
I find that the printed text can be difficult to read comfortably in places due to poor colour contrast, and some of the CT images are indistinct and grainy. The dermatology chapter would be enhanced by colour illustrations of the skin diseases described.
These minor criticisms aside, the latest edition of this practical book will be used on a daily basis by emergency department staff. It is to be recommended to medical students and junior clinicians undertaking
training in emergency medicine, and also to more experienced clinicians who require access to the latest practice guidelines and management protocols."
Associate Professor John Dearin
Head of Rural Clinical School
Notre Dame University School of Medicine
Published in April 2014 issue of Medicine Today
By Gordian W. O. Fulde, MBBS, FRACS, FRCS(Ed), FRACS/RCP (A&E) Ed, FACEM
Director, Emergency Medicine, St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney, NSW; Director,Emergency Department, Sydney Hospital; Director Emergency Services, South East Sydney Illawarra Area Health Service; Member, Senior Court of Examiners, Australasian College for Emergency Medicine; Professor, Emergency Medicine, The University of Notre Dame, Sydney; Associate Professor, Emergency Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney
Sascha Fulde MBBS, BSc
Registrar in Emergency Medicine, St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney