Essentials of Oral Histology and Embryology, 4th Edition
A Clinical Approach
Master the essentials of oral biology with a patient-centered approachTable of Contents
New to This Edition
This text shows how developmental and structural microscopic anatomy form the foundation for everything students will need to know for effective study of oral health care. This text makes a connection between concept and clinical application, providing an explanation for the cause-and-effect nature of clinical oral manifestations.
- Clinically focused content provides essential knowledge of the basics of oral biology with an emphasis on its relationship to clinical practice and a focus on the patient.
- Full-color art program includes many high-quality illustrations, histographs, micrographs, and clinical photos depicting various stages of development of the oral structures.
- Clinical Comment and Consider the Patient boxes help you apply information to clinical practice and patient care by describing clinical tips, points of interest, and patient situations.
- Self-evaluation questions are included at the end of each chapter, helping you review for classroom and national board exams.
- Key vocabulary is listed at the beginning of each chapter and highlighted in boldface within the text.
- Suggested readings at the end of each chapter allow you to research classic and new studies.
- Expert author Daniel Chiego has 40 years of experience in research and education in oral embryology and histology, and has directed the dental and dental hygiene courses of study in these topics at the University of Michigan for more than 15 years.
- An Evolve companion website provides practice quizzes, vocabulary flashcards, labeling exercises, and links to related websites for further research and study.
"This basic science text, now in an updated fourth edition, provides a clear and comprehensive guide to understanding a complex but essential part of the dental curriculum. As such, it is aimed mainly at an undergraduate dental population but can also be used as a postgraduate reference text...This text's real strength lies in the use of a wide variety of high-quality images, which include histology slides, micrographs, radiographs and clinical photos...A further selling point is the ability for users to access a wealth of online information including a question and image bank, presentations, web-links and interactive exercises free of charge."
The British Dental Journal, July 2013
- Clinical Comments boxes throughout the chapters present tips that help readers apply key content to everyday clinical practice.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of every chapter list important topics readers should know after completing the chapter.
- An alphabetical list of Key Terms at the beginning of each chapter helps readers learn to use these words in the correct context within clinical practice.
- Features a wealth of new full-color illustrations and photographs.
- Evolve website includes a test bank, image collection, weblinks, and interactive student exercises.
By Daniel J. Chiego, Jr., MS, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Cariology, Restorative Sciences, and Endodontics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA