Key Topics in Public Health
Essential Briefings on Prevention and Health Promotion
This book may take up to 5 business days to ship
|(With Adobe DRM, readable with Adobe Digital Editions for PCs and Macs, and on most mobile devices except Kindle)|
|Pageburst on VitalSource eBook||$50.95|
Key Topics is a short, easy-to-read text that provides basic information about twelve key topics in public health, such as diabetes, cancer, smoking and teenage pregnancy, and how prevention and health promotion should be tackled at community and one-to-one levels. The twelve topics are the 'must-dos' of public health action. They have been selected because they are those addressed in current national public health strategies such as Saving Lives: our healthier nation , and comparable strategies in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Many are the subject of National Service Frameworks and other national policies and plans; they are often accompanied by targets which health workers are expected to meet.Table of Contents
- Accessible and useful, in clear plain English.
- Provides a foundation for further study, planning a work programme, or planning a strategy to meet targets.
- Practical focus: on health inequalities and how to tackle them, and on help for practitioners who work at a community and one-to-one level.
- Explicit links to national current public health policy and targets.
Reflects recommendations based on best practice and evidence of effectiveness.
- Focuses on a topic framework (except for the last two chapters) in contrast to other frameworks for health promotion and public health.
- Attractive layout making full use of bullet points and boxes.
- Simple line diagrams or tables to illustrate each chapter.
"Linda Ewles edits with a 'no jargon' approach that serves to demystify public health. All the chapters are written by experts and focus on specific disseases or behaviours recognnised as contributing to poor health." Gill Watson; Nursing Standard
Edited by Linda Ewles, BSc, SRD, MSc, MA, Freelance Public Health Consultant and Writer, Bristol, UK