Clinical Veterinary Advisor
Dogs and Cats
No other quick reference comes close to providing this much accurate, timely, and clinically useful diagnostic and therapeutic information. It's like six books in one -- Diseases and Disorders, Procedures and Techniques, Differential Diagnosis, Laboratory Tests, Clinical Algorithms, and a Drug Formulary. Plus, it includes free access to a fully searchable companion website featuring an electronic version of the text, a searchable drug formulary, and 100 customizable Client Education Sheets in both English and Spanish.Table of Contents
- This text brings together the expertise of 21 internationally recognized authorities as contributing editors and 300 leading clinician-authors into a single, comprehensive source.
- A wealth of high-quality illustrations clearly demonstrates key concepts and procedures.
- Section I: Diseases and Disorders provides at-a-glance coverage of more than 700 common medical problems, arranged alphabetically for immediate access. Each entry presents the topic in the sequence it follows clinically, including: history and physical exam findings, diagnostic testing, treatment (including specific medications and dosages), prognosis, and recommended monitoring. References for each topic support the data presented.
- Section II: Procedures and Techniques offers illustrated, step-by-step instructions for understanding and performing 89 important clinical procedures.
- Section III: Differential Diagnosis displays nearly every possible cause for 263 different clinical disorders.
- Section IV: Laboratory Tests summarizes essential information needed for interpreting more than 150 laboratory tests.
- Section V: Clinical Algorithms provides decision trees for the diagnostic and therapeutic decision-making processes involved in managing more than 90 of the most common clinical conditions/disorders.
- Section VI: Drug Formulary is a compilation of dosages and other relevant information for more than 300 new and current medications.
- A companion website includes the complete text of the book in a fully searchable format, which allows quick identification of any topic and its related information in the six different sections. The website also includes 100 customizable Client Education Sheets, each available in both English and Spanish.
â€œThe first section, of over 1100 pages, would make a textbook in itself and is entitled â€˜Diseases and Disordersâ€™â€¦provided and excellent and thorough overview of the subject, considering aetiology, diagnosis, differentials, therapy and prognosis along with what the authors term â€˜Pearls and Considerationsâ€™.
The website â€¦reproduces all of the printed text and some which is not present in the printed version. The major benefits of this website are downloadable Client Information Sheets (in English and Spanish) and the ability to reproduce the â€˜Procedures and Techniquesâ€™ illustrations.
The book does not claim to be an exhaustive stuffy of any particular condition. It does however, in my opinion, provide more than just the basic information.
Students could find it useful but its main application would seem to be the recent graduate or to those returning to the profession after a career-break, even if only to enable them to verify those decisions already taken during consultations. It does appear to merit a place in the typical practice library.â€
Reviewed by Freddie J. Marshall BVMS MRCVS (UK), for EJCAP, vol 17, October 2007
"(...) The coverage of toxicities was outstanding for a general veterinary text. (...) Both common and SI units are referenced both in the laboratory section and throughout the general text. (...) It is possible to access the textbook online, which also provides a rapid text searching facility and access to information sheets on more than 100 topics.
So, would I recommend this book? I think it would prove extremely useful to have a copy in the practice library. It may not go into as much detail as more specialised texts, but I think it has done a very good job of conveying salient points in a useable format and covers a wide range of topics to a satisfactory depth. In addition, it does all this for an extremely reasonable price, giving real value for money."
--- Veterinary Times, October 22nd, 2007
"The Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats, edited by Dr Etienne Cote, gets it just right. The template-based text is arguably the most comprehensive of its kind, containing high-quality information from over 300 contributing authors and 21 editors. The bulk of the book is dedicated to diseases and disorders... This impressive tome is the ultimate general resource for small animal practitioners and represents exceptional value for money. If youâ€™re a new graduate and can only afford to buy one textbook, The Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats should be on your shortlist."Journal of Small Animal Practice, July 2010
By Etienne Cote, DVM, DACVIM (Cardiology and Small Animal Internal Medicine), Assistant Professor, Department of Companion Animals, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PE, Canada