Anthony's Textbook of Anatomy & Physiology, 18th Edition
A thorough introductory text on human form and function, this text presents a large, complex body of scientific knowledge in an easily understood, straightforward writing style. Focusing on concepts rather than descriptions, the text uses a "big picture" theme of body function and also explains the body's homeostatic regulation.Table of Contents
New to This Edition
- New and updated artwork illustrates the most current scientific knowledge.
- New Language of Science and Language of Medicine boxes bookend each chapter, providing pronunciations, definitions, and word parts for terms highlighted in the text.
- Completely revised critical thinking and review questions in each chapter actively engage students and challenge their reasoning skills.
- A clear, straightforward approach and inviting reading style make it easier to comprehend the difficult subject of anatomy & physiology.
- World-class art program includes more than 1,400 full-color photos and illustrations to enhance and simplify explanations of difficult concepts.
- Big Picture and Cycle of Life sections unify themes and help students comprehend the interrelation of body systems and how the structure and function of these change in relation to age and development.
- Dozens of unique full-color micrographs of cellular structure enhance student learning.
- A variety of specialty boxes and tables explain the practical applications of the principles of A&P, such as the Health Matters box on "anesthetics" which explains how anesthetics produce their effects.
- Current topics (e.g., anthrax, smallpox, human genome project) are addressed in feature boxes.
· Case studies challenge students with "real-life" clinical situations.
- Health Matters and other boxes and tables explain the practical applications of the principles of A&P.
- Chapter Outlines open each chapter, giving students a short overview of subject content.
- Quick Check questions and detailed chapter summaries help students review the material.
- Content review questions help students determine how well they have mastered important concepts.
- Critical thinking questions actively engage students and challenge their reasoning skills.
- Color-coded tabs along the side of each page differentiate the six units at a glance.
By Gary A. Thibodeau, PhD, Chancellor Emeritus and Professor Emeritus of Biology, University of Wisconsin, River Falls, River Falls, WI; and Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor of Life Science, St. Charles Community College, St. Peters, MO, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Physiology, Saint Louis University Medical School, St. Louis, MO